Policies and Procedures

University Policies and Procedures

The following information applies to all Princeton University students, staff, faculty and invitees.

Princeton sUAS Policy 
Princeton's policy for the operation of sUAS on University property.     

Safety and Operational Standards
Checklist to make sure your sUAS use is in compliance. 

Pre-flight Checklist
Safety list to review before you fly.  

Incident Reporting Form
Form to use in case of a crash, injury, property damage or complaint. 

First-Time sUAS users at Princeton must take the drone safety training available on the Princeton Employee Learning Center: www.princeton.edu/training. View the training by going to Environmental Health & Safety under the "Training By Department" tab. Click "eLearning" at the top and look for "sUAS Training For Operators at Princeton" in the General Safety section.

FAA Regulations

Federal regulations and policies pertaining to unmanned aircraft systems are available on the FAA website. The FAA reauthorization bill of 2018 has several changes that impact small unmanned aircraft. FAA regulations pertain to all flights within the national airspace system of the United States. Outside of the U.S., sUAS operations are subject to the rules and regulations of those jurisdictions.

The FAA requires all UAS to be registered. Register your UAS with the FAA.

Related Activities

Other permissions may be needed if the sUAS is being used for certain types of activities. More information about policies and permissions on selected topics is available at the links below.  

Export Controls 
A U.S. government export license may be required to ship or transport an sUAS or its payload (e.g. cameras, sensors, etc.) to a foreign country or to provide foreign persons with technology related to the item. Contact John Jenkins (jj21@princeton.edu) for assistance.

Animal Research
Guidelines, regulations, and policies govern the use of animals in research and education.

Human Subjects
Guidelines, regulations, and policies govern the use of human subjects in research and education.

Biological agents, including recombinant DNA molecules, infectious and potentially infectious agents, human and non-human primate materials and biological toxins are covered by the Institutional Biosafety Program.

Field Research
Permits, risk assessments and travel planning are needed in some field research situations.

Filming / Campus Imagery
All photography and filming by invitees/third-party operators must be approved by the Office of Communications. Complete and send the Princeton University authorization form to newsmedia@princeton.edu